When you’ve been hurt in a collision involving a commercial truck, even if the vehicles were traveling at a slow speed, the potential for serious injury can be significant. Because the causes of a truck accident can be so varied, there’s a lot more that needs to be done in the immediate aftermath of a truck wreck.
Get the Treatment You Need
Your health is your foremost concern after a truck accident—for a number of reasons. First of all, the sooner you get the right treatment, the better the chance that you’ll achieve maximum recovery and that your medical condition won’t get worse. In addition, the longer you take to get treatment, the greater the risk that defense counsel will either argue that your injuries are not as serious as you claim, or that they were caused by a subsequent, intervening accident.
Gather Information and Evidence
As with any motor vehicle accident, you’ll want to get witness statements, as well as photographs of all relevant evidence, from damage to vehicles to injuries to weather conditions to roadway defects. In addition, though, there are records and other evidence unique to a truck accident. You’ll want to obtain:
- Copies of the driver’s log, showing how much time the driver spent on the road and when the driver took breaks in the hours before the accident—a common cause of truck accidents is driver fatigue
- Copies of the truck’s maintenance log to determine whether routine and necessary maintenance was performed
- Access to the information on the truck’s on-board data recorders (black box), providing information on steering, speed, braking and other driving information before and at the time of the crash
- Weigh station records to ascertain whether the truck was overloaded
- Cell phone records from the moments before the crash
Contact the Law Offices of Gregg A. Wisotsky
I offer a free phone consultation to every prospective client. For a complimentary evaluation of your case, contact my office online or call me at 973-241-7468. I will come to your home or the hospital to meet with you, if necessary. All major credit cards are accepted.