It’s common knowledge that working in residential or commercial construction is one of the most dangerous occupations in the country. Here are some of the most common causes of construction site injuries:
- Falling objects — Whether it’s a high rise or a single family home, there’s always a risk of injury from falling tools, equipment, building materials or refuse.
- Falls from heights — These types of injuries can happen in a variety of ways. A contractor or subcontractor may fail to put proper guardrails on upper levels, or may leave sections uncovered without protective barriers. Ladders or scaffolding may be incorrectly assembled or may be defective. Construction elevators or lifts may not have appropriate safety mechanisms. Workers may be pushed to perform dangerous jobs without harnesses or other requisite safety devices.
- Dangerous or defective products — Construction projects involve the use of power tools, heavy equipment and other types of machinery. If these items are not properly designed, are used in ways not intended by the manufacturer, or are poorly made, construction workers can be at risk of serious injury.
- Negligent hiring, training or supervision of employees — Often, in the rush to complete projects, contractors hire workers without fully investigating or confirming their qualifications. As a result, they can hire people without the necessary skills to operate dangerous construction equipment. It’s not unusual, either, for a contractor to allow workers to perform their job without direct supervision and without any concern for safety measures.
- Construction site motor vehicle accidents — Construction sites are often a beehive of activity, with trucks and other vehicles moving in and out, as well as other vehicles. Because there are seldom any designated roads, let alone traffic signs or signals, it’s not unusual for collisions to occur.
Contact Attorney Gregg A. Wisotsky
I offer a free phone consultation to every prospective client. For a complimentary evaluation of your case, contact my office online or call me at 973-241-7468. I will come to your home or the hospital to meet with you, if necessary. All major credit cards are accepted.