When was the last time you put one of those big, clunky D-sized batteries in any kind of a product? Instead, you probably put a wafer or "button" battery in your remote control, camera, key fob, hearing aid or other product. But these batteries can pose a serious health risk, especially to children who may do what children do with lots of things—put them in their mouths.
According to published reports, over 3,000 small children required emergency care last year after swallowing a button battery. Medical professionals warn that ingesting a battery of any kind can have serious consequences, from suffocation to choking, even causing death. Furthermore, because batteries carry an electrical current, they can cause a chemical reaction with liquids, including saliva, resulting in serious internal burns. The small batteries can also become lodged in a nasal passage or an ear.
Warning Signs that Your Child May Have Swallowed a Battery
Here are some telltale signs that your child has ingested a button battery:
- Excessive drooling
- Vomiting, gagging or any difficulty swallowing
- Complaints of chest or abdominal pain
- Sudden crying
- Bloody saliva or stools
Doctors advise against giving your child anything to eat or drink if you suspect that the child has swallowed a battery. Don’t try the Heimlich, either—take the child to an emergency medical facility as soon as possible.
Contact the Law Offices of Gregg A. Wisotsky
I offer a free phone consultation to every prospective client. For a complimentary evaluation of your case, contact my office online or call me at 973-241-7468. I will come to your home or the hospital to meet with you, if necessary. All major credit cards are accepted.