New Jersey Weapons Charge Defense
The law assumes that illegal firearms will be used for criminal purposes. Merely carrying a gun or lethal weapon in the commission of another crime can add years of mandatory prison time with additional periods of parole ineligibility.
If you are charged with a gun crime or facing weapon enhancements on another crime, you need an attorney familiar with the special laws that can affect the outcome of your case. We have handled many of these cases in 20 years of criminal defense practice in New Jersey.
We can answer your questions and effectively represent you on these very serious charges. Call Gregg A. Wisotsky, Esq. Partner, Javerbaum Wurgaft Hicks Kahn Wikstrom & Sinins, PC, immediately at 973-898-0161. You can also call our office after hours or during weekends at 908-229-9714.
Weapon Use or Possession in Connection With Other Crimes
Prison terms increase drastically when guns or deadly weapons are involved:
- If the victim is harmed or intimidated with a firearm, it may change the underlying charge up to a higher degree crime.
- The Graves Act establishes mandatory minimum sentences for the mere presence of a weapon in the commission of another offense.
- The Brimage Guidelines provide even harsher sentences when guns are connected to drug transactions.
I have been successful in removing weapon enhancements for drug offenses, assault, sexual assault and theft or burglary charges such as robbery. This dramatically reduces your exposure and allows me to fight the underlying accusation.
Illegal Possession of Firearms
We have also provided effective representation to clients facing gun charges not necessarily connected to other criminal activity:
- Convicted felon in possession
- Illegal weapons or ammunition
- Stolen or unregistered guns
- Unlawful discharge of a weapon
- Trafficking in firearms
Morris County and Northern New Jersey
You will always know where you stand, and I will vigorously represent you at trial or in plea negotiations to avoid the worst potential consequences. Arrange a consultation in our office or, If necessary, we will meet you or your loved one in jail to discuss the case.
We provide skilled representation to people facing weapon’s charges across New Jersey including Morris County.