A commercial truck accident can be one of the most complex legal claims to successfully litigate, as the causes can be varied and difficult to establish, and the damages are almost always catastrophic. As a consequence, in a truck accident lawsuit, it’s often essential that you bring in expert witnesses to help present a clear and compelling case for your full financial recovery. Here are some expert witnesses typically called to provide testimony in a large commercial truck accident claim:
- Accident reconstruction specialist — An accident reconstruction specialist, typically an engineer, will visit the scene and attempt to reconstruct exactly what happened, based on the evidence gathered. This expert will look at skid marks, gouges in the roadway, damage to vehicles and the surrounding area in an effort to determine speed, location, braking and other evasive measures.
- Medical expert — The medical expert will look at what happened in the crash, as well as all medical records and testimony, and will identify all short-term and long-term medical consequences of the crash, in addition to all medical care that will be required.
- Economics expert — The economics expert will seek to identify all monetary losses resulting from the accident, including both actual losses and projected losses, such as future income or medical expenses.
- Human factors expert — Because a principal cause of truck accidents is driver fatigue, it’s important to have an expert who can testify about what happens physiologically to a person when there is sleep deprivation or inadequate rest. That’s the role of the human factors expert.
- Mechanical expert — The mechanical expert will conduct a thorough examination of the truck, as well as the vehicle’s inspection log, looking for anything that was not in compliance with safety regulations.
At the law offices of Gregg A. Wisotsky, Esq., Partner, Javerbaum Wurgaft Hicks Kahn Wikstrom & Sinins, PC, we offer a free phone consultation to every prospective client. For a complimentary evaluation of your case, contact our office online or call us at 973-898-0161. We will come to your home or the hospital to meet with you, if necessary. All major credit cards are accepted.
Leave a Reply